Wednesday, April 10, 2002

I'm SOO behind on reporting my life...

This past Sunday, I went with JonJon to see Hell's Belles at Cowpokes Bar in the Marigny.

I ran into Beau/Lance there as well as Charly, aka Blogstalker. Poor Charly evidently has no internet access currently, which explains the lack of updates in 4 months. I finally asked Beau/Lance whether he preferred to be a Beau or a Lance and exactly why some people call him Beau and some Lance. I'm keeping him as a Beau. It's what the people who've known him the longest call him and I like it best.

Hell's Belles is the newest Running With Scissors production. These are the guys who previously brought New Orleans productions of Hedwig, The Scooby Witch Project, Camille and Grenadine McGunkle's Doublewide Christmas. All of which were damned funny and extremely well done shows.

Belles is loosely based on the Clint Eastwood movie, The Beguiled, which has always held a special place in my heart. I wasn't terribly surprised to find out a year or so ago that Flynn had a similar love for it.

I liked Belles a lot, but I didn't find it to be as funny overall as the previous shows. But, that's not really a criticism. All of Running With Scissors shows have been amazingly good. Grenadine was about the funniest damned show I've ever seen in my life. So, that's a high mark to have to hit every time. Belles has some terrificly funny moments but I felt it just sort of dragged at moments. Brian Peterson was really great as the school's headmistress and Roy Haylock aka Bianca del Rio ate up the stage everytime he was on it.

I imagine that I'll go see the show again later in its run and I have a feeling that it'll have tightened up a bit.

Now I have to go feel guilty about not absolutely raving about it...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States