Friday, June 29, 2001

Okay, first off... as I sit here, I'm looking at my Spiderman Classics Spiderman action figure on top of my computer. He rocks. Never has an action figure been so acurately poseable. Hurray for Spiderman Classics Spiderman.

Disaster must lurk around the corner... Why? Because yesterday was too nice of a day.

I got up relatively early. Read a bit of REVELATION SPACE by Alastair Reynolds, excellent British hard sci-fi. The Brits have it going on in Science Fiction lately, IMO. Then I spent an hour or so rearranging and alphabetizing most of my books so that I'll be able to find them when I need to do so.

Then I went to the Westbank. Saw TOMB RAIDER at the Palace. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. A big dumb movie with lots of special effects. I can live with that. No trailer for CATS & DOGS, damn it. But, a kick ass trailer for LORD OF THE RINGS. Then a little shopping, food mainly, at the Super Walmart. Who knew you could buy Soy Milk at Walmart?

Back home for a dog-washing and apartment sweeping and general dog hair removal. Then I hiked to the neighborhood laundromat for a quick washing of a few pieces of clothing. Mainly cuz I had particular clothes I wanted to wear on my date later in the evening. I had hoped to squeeze in some bike-riding, but no dice.

So, I'm getting ready for my date, showering, shaping the goatee, etc... and my phone rings. It's my favorite new friend from Baton Rouge. I didn't get to spend a lot of time talking to him unfortunately, but the fact that he called made me happy. Of course, fate always dictates that someone you have a mild crush on will call you while you're getting ready for a date with someone else you have a crush on. Life is never simple, is it?

So, the date... went well. It's been a long time since someone else took me to dinner. And it was a lovely dinner. Way down at the end of Magazine Street lies Martinique Bistro. I discovered that I like very much the taste of sweet German wines. And the menu at this little bistro was to die for. I had a mixed greens salad with herb crusted goat cheese, oysters baked in a amazing crumbly mixture, and salmon with shitakes, cepes and another wild mushroom or two. Which was all amazing. What looked even better was my date's Mahi Mahi in a dried pear, hazelnut and blanc beurre sauce. To be treated to a meal like this is to feel appreciated, even more so when it's accompanied by great conversation for nearly two hours.

The rest of the evening went quite swimmingly as well.

Now, off for some bike riding, reading and cooking before work...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States