Sunday, August 05, 2001

Saturday nite out...

So, last nite was a night of juggled friends and constantly coalescing plans. Originally, I was supposed to go to White Linen Night with a couple friends and then meet another friend to go to Oz.

So I spend some afternoon time laying out trying to get some sun, with no results. An hour in 100 degree heat and my skin doesn't even turn pink!? And my phone kept ringing the whole time I was laying out. First, my major crush of the moment called to catch up with me. He has a new houseguest moving in with him and they were planning on going to see Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I told him that I was going to see it on Sunday. Bummer.

Then, my friend Robert calls and we make plans to go to White Linen night once we get in touch with Dave, the ex. Then, my friend Brian calls and Dave is with him. They don't wanna do White Linen but they do wanna go see Hedwig. Then, Wil calls about going to Oz. But he has to meet the str8 friends at Pat O's for a while... Grrr. More phone calls. My plans firm up as follows: White Linen briefly with Robert, then off to the Shim Sham for a drink or two before we see Hedwig, then call and meet Wil in the Quarter to make it to Oz before the cover goes up. Whew!

So... I have a couple glasses of wine while waiting for Robert. Then we go to White Linen night. Parking is a bitch and a half. We wind up parking at Harrah's. I immediately decide that I HATE White Linen night. Too many stupid people. Nobody's really looking at the art, its all about being seen and seeing others. Plus, the art sucks anyway.

Luckily, Brian calls me on my cell and tells me they're on their way to the Quarter and are on Camp Street. I happen to be on Julia about 40 feet from the corner of Camp. I bid adieu to Robert and assorted people and run to the corner and hop in the car. And evidently I slam the door too hard.... or so I'm told...

Tom, Brian's manfriend, drops up in front of the Shim Sham and we meet Dave at the bar who's already purchased our tickets. A quick couple of drinks and we go in and take our places on our reserved front row seats (Thanks Flynn!!), feeling like NO celebutantes.

Within five minutes of the show starting, I was ecstaticly happy. This show completely utterly totally and without a doubt fucking rocks the planet. It was flawless. Usually, when I go to any sort of theatre, I'm bored at some point. But, I was completely rivetted to the stage for an hour and a half. The music in the show is glamrock at it's best. The dialogue is tight and pointedly perfect. And I have to assume some kick ass direction went into it.

But, the glue holding it all together were the actors. Dorian Rush and Flynn DeMarco both were brilliant. During the first song, I just wanted to run up on the stage and hug Flynn and tell him how amazing he was. Sometimes in life, you feel lucky to be near someone who has an immense talent. Dave, my ex, is one of the most artisticly gifted people I've ever known and I've always felt lucky to have had him and have him in my life. Flynn is another... his gift on the stage is HUGE. I've seen him in two productions now and he only seems to grow in talent.

Even if I didn't know Flynn, I would still be raving about this show though. Everyone who has any interest in theatre needs to immediately make plans to see it. I've not heard one negative or even mediocre word said by anyone who's seen it. Everyone that sees it is blown away by it. Even my stage hating friends. (hi Dave)

DO NOT miss this show.

So, after the show, I called Wil who just happened to be near 735, which is where Dave, Brian and I were heading for drinks. Wil and I ran into Oz and got stamped and then went back to 735. Wil heads back to PatO's. The 3 of us go back to Shim Sham for Glitter Glam for a bit. Have a nice time out on the balcony. Eventually, I head back to Oz and meet Wil. Dancing ensues. I say hi to a gay.com person. He's cute. Seems to think I'm cute. But, he has a boyfriend.... After a bit, I wonder away. Run into someone who lives near me who is heading home and hitch a ride. Calling an early nite of it. Leave Wil a voicemail letting him know.

Home. Sleep.

Saturday nite...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States