Thursday, June 03, 2004

Ok... so I've mentioned TV shows twice in the past two days.

I used to be absolutely addicted to television. I watched a ridiculous amount of it.

And then one day I decided that cable television was a luxury that I really couldn't afford anymore. It's ridiculously overpriced, IMO. And the reception that I get with bunny ears is pretty darn bad. So, I went cold turkey. And discovered that I really didn't miss it. It helped a lot that this was shortly after I moved to New Orleans, so I had new friends to hang out with and new places to explore. The only show I couldn't give up entirely was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but a friend at work taped it for me every week.

And then came one of the greatest innovations of modern times... tv shows on DVD. Through the magic of DVD, I've watched the entire run of The Family Guy and most of Sex in the City. I watched ALIAS, The Sopranos, The Shield and 24 from the beginning. I've watched as much of OZ and Six Feet Under as they've released.

And then I discovered the next greatest innovation of modern times... Bit Torrent. There are crazy (lovely) people out there who tape tv shows every week and convert them to AVI or MPG files within an hour or so of that show airing. A few hours of downloading (usually while I'm sleeping) later, I have that show on my computer to watch.

So, I watch TV shows again. But, I watch them at my convenience. And there aren't that many that I watch. For the record.. here's what i do watch:

The Shield
The Sopranos
Six Feet Under
24
Alias
Queer as Folk

With their varying schedules, that's less than four hours a week of tv watching. I can live with that. And with one obvious exception, I think the shows I watch are pretty smart.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States