Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Today is all about hugging my dog and telling her how much I love her.

One of the things I love most about my neighborhood is that it's very dog friendly. Probably a third of the people living in the Lower Garden District have dogs. We're a dog loving bunch.

My next door neighbor for the last two years has had a dalmation named Posey for nine years. Posey and I have always had a bit of a distant but genial relationship. Whenever I arrive home and she's outside, she always comes running to my car with her tail wagging and then darts away at the last second before I can pet her. It's like she's telling me that she knows I belong here and I'm part of her territory, but I don't really belong to her. I belong to another dog. Every once in a rare while, she'll actually come up to me when I'm sitting on the steps and sit next to me and let me stroke her back.

Her owner is a chef and he's been out of town, touring as the caterer for a very famous rock star. A couple of weeks ago, while he was out of town, Posey starting getting weak spells and passed out a couple of times. His girlfriend took her to the vet and got her onto medication and she's been a little better. Kent got back in town last week while the tour breaks for a couple of weeks. He's been nursing her along and she's been better but still really weak and the vet hasn't been sure what's exactly what's wrong with her.

Last nite, I had just finished washing my car when Kent got home. He let Posey out to run around a bit. She was doing her usual shy act with me. Then she started towards me on the steps, took two step and fell over in the grass in front of her house. I lept off the steps and ran to her while screaming for Kent. I stroked her head and she wagged her tail a bit while obviously struggling for breath. Kent came out and got her up and she seemed to perk back up pretty quickly. He told me he was a bit worried but that she was actually doing much better, but he would take her to the vet again this morning to have her checked out.

Around 10 AM this morning, I heard Kent drive up and then there was a knock at my door. I opened it to Kent standing outside and he simply said, "she passed away, man." He'd taken her to the vet and she'd passed out there again but revived. I'm not sure exactly what else went on at the vet's office, but Kent started home with her and she seemed okay. And then, while he was driving home, she had a seizure in his truck. And this time she didn't wake up.

We just stood on the porch for a couple minutes, both crying, uncomfortable as guys get when we cry.

I'm reallly glad that Kent and Posey got to spend her last week together. But, geez...

Now Keisha's just confused as to why I keep hugging her so tight.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States