Thursday, July 05, 2001

Sometimes when I finish a good book, I get depressed. I've made myself a part of another world, another existence and then the end of the novel forces me to remove myself from that world. And that can be depressing.

I just finished REVELATION SPACE by Alastair Reynolds. And it was astonishingly good. And original. I really love science fiction, but I find it very hard to find truly well written science fiction. Alastair Reynolds has instantly become one of my favorite writers in the genre, alongside Peter F. Hamilton. I've started CRESCENT CITY RHAPSODY by Kathleen Goonan and it seems okay so far.

When I read a lot of the current science fiction, I start to feel like I've been cheated. I think I was born about a hundred years too early. It's very easy to believe that the next few decades could easily radically alter man's existence. Genetic manipulation and nanotechnology are going to change the world one day and I'm probably gonna miss it. Bummer.

I find it not so difficult to believe that a day will come when disease is gonna be eliminated for the most part. When death is, if not defeated, forestalled for immense lengths. And I'm gonna have missed it, probably by just a few decades or a century. Grrrr.

And nanotechnology... a word most people have never heard. The possibilities that nanotech have are amazing. If you don't know what nanotechnology is, go read up on it. Someday, probably in your life, it's gonna change everything.

Hmmm, i went off into geek mode...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States