Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Scary news now... the WWL webpage is saying that the efforts to seal the break in the levee have failed and that they expect the pumps in the area to fail soon. Within the next 12-15 hours 9 feet of water is expected througout the Eastbank.

I honestly don't know how Richard, Jonno & Robert are holding themselves together. I've got a lot of admiration for them, because if I still lived there I'd be a complete basket case right now. I'm a borderline basket case as it is... Don just came outside to tell me that his mother finally really understands that she's pretty much lost everything in her apartment. He's taking her to the front swing to talk. She doesn't have flood insurance and she didn't bring much of anything here with her. I thought it was weirdly endearing earlier when she said... "but.. I left two fur coats and all my jewels there."

My head is spinning with so many different things right now. I have so many friends in NOLA who live paycheck to paycheck. The money in their pockets right now is all they have. They can't go back to the city for at least a week. Their homes are probably destroyed. And I don't think a lot of people are going to be buying drinks in bars, going out for sushi, getting the hair colored, etc anytime soon...

I feel like we're sitting on top of a gigantic yo-yo... everytime we think things are getting better, it seems like they get ten times worse...

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States