Tuesday, September 11, 2001


I sit here tonite wrapped in a gray fog. The events of the day are so unbelievable that they're hard to absorb, but they were also so inevitable that it wasn't really a surprise in a lot of ways. But, I'm still stunned. And horribly horribly depressed.

The footage on TV seems like bad special effects from a low budget movie. In my mind, I continually wonder what it was like for the passengers of the planes, the horror of knowing that their plane was a weapon aimed at a large building.

It's going to be a very long time before the people of our country feel safe again. Living in the larger metropolitan centers will forever carry a feeling of risk that was never there before. Boarding an airplane will carry a feeling of dread to almost anyone. Things are different now. Life has a tangibly different tactile feeling to it now.

It's really quite fascinating to me the way in which this has affected every person, no matter who they are. I didn't cross the path of a single person today who wasn't profoundly effected by it. I don't think of myself as a particularly patriotic person but today my country is hurting. And I am hurting. And I'm not sure why it hurts so much.

Today, I entered a new world. We all did. And it's gonna take a lot of processing to make sense of it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States