Monday, June 19, 2006

The sleeper awakens... at least momentarily...

So, I figure that I could share with y'all what I'm hip to lately...

TV shows... I can't get enough of the new Doctor Who. I watched the first season on SciFi and I'm currently pirating the second season from the Web as it airs on the BBC. I went through a brief Doctor Who phase as a young lad, but that's not one of those things you admit to. But the new show has me hook, line and sinker. It's slick, funny, full of continuity and very well acted and directed. It contains just enough of the goofiness of the original series but balances it quite well with much more modern writing and acting. I also really like The Closer... thank yewww very much. And The 4400 is the best comic book tv show ever even thought it was never a comic book (but it does borrow liberally from more than a few of them). Oh, and I just discovered Footballers Wives... omg... the locker room scenes.... meeow...

In the book arena, I've recently enjoyed The Book of the Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It's the third book in a thriller trilogy. Their books are sort of what I think Michael Crichton would write if he'd grown up on a steady diet of old horror movies. Agent Pendergast in their books is absolutely one of my favorite fictional characters. I also devoured Prador Moon by Neal Asher in a couple of hours recently. Neal Asher is one of three British guys who are, IMO, the absolute best writers putting out science fiction novels today. The other two would be Alastair Reynolds and Peter F. Hamilton. (I also highly recommend Judas Unchained by Hamilton and Pushing Ice by Reynolds, both currently available at your local Barnes & Noble, you'll have to get them to order Prador Moon however.) And, of course, since I'm a resident of Louisiana, I read The Great Deluge by Douglas Brinkley. It was an incredible book, but I don't think I could say I enjoyed it...

And the next post will cover music and my favorite music blogs...

1 comment:

Neal Asher said...

Hey, cheers for that!

About Me

Lafayette, Louisiana, United States